11.11.2009

Talking to Sabrina Tutstone



So you grew up in church with a strict background? Try comparing your religious story to the one belonging to Sabrina Tutstone, the spirit filled, mother of 3 and grandmother who sings jazz and is a devote believer in Christ. But Sabrina, 50, gives all the credit to God and having learned to not limit him in her life in any manner or put him in a box. She currently lives in Columbus, Ohio.

Ever wonder what sunshine and peace feel like? How love and compassion looks on someone's face? What words spiritual wisdom and humbleness come to make when spoken? Spend time with her and you will witness all of the above within minutes of speaking with her or watching her perform. She’s the sweetest person you will ever meet and it’s all genuine.

I decided several weeks ago that I personally wanted to meet one on one with some of the “IT” vocalist and women that I find inspiring in the Columbus area. I chose to call them my “Ohio Divas”, by diva I mean a woman of outstanding talent in whatever industry she chooses to represent. The criteria would be very simple for these series of visits with different women. Be passionate about what you are doing and be willing to share your wisdom with me. My first scheduled interview was an easy choice. Sabrina Loves God and Music. Initially upon speaking with her, I felt God had lead me to her because we had so many similar interest, goals, and shared backgrounds. Sabrina has always been inspired to help others and she has a definite passion for people, finds encouragement anywhere, and knows that staying positive in life takes you places, and I totally agree with that.

When did you begin singing?
I started at an early age because I come from a family of singers, but began singing professionally at the age of 50.

What gave you the courage to begin singing professionally at 50?
Seeing and hearing peoples reactions when I sang.

What projects are you working on now?
Currently I am working on the “The Harmony Project”, this is a choir made up of 100 strangers who came together to lend their voices as a choir of mixed races, religions, and vocal styles. The project will raise money that will go to the local “Toys for Tots” program and provide scholarships to “The Summer All-Star Program”. The group will perform 9 songs, and I personally will lead a solo.
The concert will take place December 9th and 10th. The entire process is being filmed, and a documentary of The Harmony Project will air at the performance.

You are successful in your own right, define success to me?
Success is a mindset not the ability to acquire a vast amount of material things. I remain successful because I stay positive, have a concern for touching the lives of others down to their souls, and I am always listening to the voice of the Lord so that I can follow how he leads me.

Describe yourself in 3 words…
Positive, Sincere, and Optimistic

What are your suggestions to other female vocalists out there who have a passion for what they are doing?
Get musicians that you feel are talented. Be creative, and always look to get in the zone during every performance. Your gift should stir up the gifts of others when you play together and always sing for the purpose of singing with a purpose.

What are your Words of Wisdom (W.O.W.)?
Find encouragement in life

Girl Now What?
I want to travel more, put out a CD, and sing more. I see my gift going international, I want to give more wisdom to others, and continue to do music. Most of all, I want whatever God wants for me. I don't make things happen for myself, HE does.

No comments: