7.28.2010

Amber Knicole Fisher Shares

I met Amber in December 2009.  Up until that point, I had only heard about her and her band, MoJoFlo.   I didn't get to see her perform until July 2010.  Call me lazy, busy or just to preoccupied with work, family and life, but I just never got around to it.  When I finally went to a MoJoFlo performance, all I could do was kick myself for waiting so long to go see them live. What a great sounding group!  They play at a level that makes you feel the music and dig the emotions that are being shared.  They were all on point, the harmonies were flawless and nothing they shared was disappointing.
Before Amber and I sat down to talk, I was able to find out a few things about her just by doing a google search.  This would make my sitdown interview easier by allowing me to confirm what I read and learn more.  It's so important as we go through life to not only appreciate one another's gifts and talents, but to also share them with each other.  I shared with Amber what I knew: 
I've learned that she is a:
• Singer, Song Writer, Great Performer
• Capital University Alumni
• Actress
• Daughter
• Sister
• Girlfriend
We laughed a little at what you can find out about people just by looking them up online, but I wanted to know more.  So my questions began.
At what age did you start singing?
I started singing at the age of 4, I was in the children's choir at church.  My mom tells a story about a little girl in the choir who got scared and choked right in the middle of her performance, and I took over and sang her song for her.
Now, if that isn't the making of a star, I don't know what is!! 
Do you play any instruments? 
I played the flute from 4th to 8th grade, not so much anymore, but you never lose your lip.
You've been singing since 4, playing instruments while in elementary school, and now your name is known as one of the rising stars in Ohio.   
After all these years...Why do you perform?
I still perform because it's 100% about how I feel; I perform to feel good.  When I'm in front of people, there is no fear, I know I'm supposed to be here, and it's magical.
Share with me a magical moment.....
I once performed on stage during a play, and after singing my song, the stage manager called for a forced intermission.  For me that was magical because it meant that my performance was just that powerful, and I hope the audience felt it too the way I did.
Being so talented, I can only imaging some of the things you have experienced and lessons you've learned.  Can you share some of those? 
Sure, I've dealt with jealousy, and there's been times where I've lost friends and not had friends because of singing.  But, I learned through those situations that what God has for me is for Me! A big part of that revolves around knowing my purpose.  That alone has allowed me to get past those issues.
What were the best Words of Widom (W.O.W) ever given to you?
A better way for me to answer that is to tell you who.  My mom is such a inspirational woman for me.  She was the one who told me that what God has for me is for me.  She frequently sends me emails just to encourage me.  I look at her as my core/homegirl.  She once told a few things, but these are ones I remember off the top of my head.
- We all face challenges; you decide how you come out of them
- It's darkest before the storm
- You can't show all your cards
- You can't tell everyone everything
Having said that, I think I have a good idea on what your answer will be to my next question:
Who inspires You Personally and Professionally?
Of course my mom does, she taught me to have high morals, exude strength, and always be committed. But, I am also inspired by other people.  It is exciting to see my peers that are doing what they love to do.  I am inspired by people all around me, like one who lost 130lbs. in 2009; the sharing of that story inspires and motivates others.  I think anyone who is accomplishing the goals they are setting before them causes me to look around and be inspired as well.
When looking at who inspires me professionally, I think of vocalists like Chaka Khan.  I love hearing the notes she can hit, and when she sings, her voice is enough; you don't need anything extra from her.
What is your favorite song and why right now?
That would have to be "Sho Would", written by George Barrie on our CD MoJoFlo: Waiting.  I just love the message, context and lyrics, I am such a lyrical person.
Where can we find out more about you and the projects you are working on?
Reverbnation / MySpace / FaceBook / Website / Youtube / Twitter 
AMBER'S DEMO REEL
So, I have to ask you, Girl Now What......? 
Since you asked, I'd have to say, keep going, don't get complacent, know that this is just the beginning.  I expect to go global. I'll be writing and performing more original works, continue to be happy by doing what I love to do...singing 

No comments: