8.24.2010

Give A Little Wave

Last week I took a different route to work.  Schools about to start, there's construction going on, and this new route will eliminate all those hold-ups....NOT!


As the car moved slowly down the deadest part of town I couldn't understand why.  My first thought was it must be an accident.  Then I thought, everyone took the back way to the local schools for freshman orientation.  Finally I said, the public transportation bus is holding us up....NOPE!


After about 2 minutes of slow moving traffic, I realized what the hold up was, and felt ashamed of my impatient attitude.  On the side of the road, stood an elderly gentleman at the end of his driveway with his cane supporting him as he excitedly waved at each individual vehicle that passed his property.  The look in his eye resembled that of a toddler who is discovering all the excitement the world has to offer for the first time.

How lovely of him to share his good morning with me and even better to see drivers on either side of the road stopping their car to wave back, myself included.

They say people may forget what you say or what you did, but will always remember how you make them feel.  That's what I love about singing.  People have sat and listened to me for 4 hours straight, and not know my name, band name, or website, but the first thing they comment about is how it made them feel.

This morning seeing that elderly man made me ask, Girl Now What?  My answer?  Give a little wave, share a big smile, and don't care about who may get inconvenienced by it all.  In the end someone will appreciate it.

No comments: