12.30.2009

Introducing Felicia Bond…Part I




It’s a cold morning after the 2009 Christmas holiday, and Felicia and I are talking on the phone like old school friends after our initial brunch visit weeks earlier.  She's sharing with me her life and some learning experiences she's had over the years.  For the past few weeks I have spent time getting to know Felicia the singer, songwriter, composer, mother, and grandmother.  Coincidentally the 3 titles she cherishes the most is Mother, Grandmother and Musician.


“I began playing music in church at 5 years old, and began my formal training at the Carter School of Music under the direction of Monique Carter near Hamilton in the King-Lincoln District. Growing up my parents that were very active in our home church.  My mother was a Sunday School Teacher, and my father was a Deacon.  So, it was understood that I would begin playing music in the house of the Lord first.  As time passed, and my talent grew I began playing out around town at the age of 7 at places like COSI, The Southern Theatre and other churches.”


Personally, I always thought that every musician had a moment where they clearly identifid it as their defining moment with the thought that this will be their life’s passion moving forward.  Felicia says that moment never truly kicked in for her, she did music because she was told to do it by her mother, and she went along with the program as an obedient child.  But, when she entered 6th grade her interest in music began to broaden.  Felicia wanted to learn how to play drums, but her mom said no to that idea, instead she took lessons in playing trombone after obtaining mom's approval.  As time passed music just became a way of life in her home.  She and her brothers had jam sessions in the house for family.  She manned the pots and pans (drums), one brother sang, another brother played the piano, and a sister handled the tambourine.  So I guess the defining moment happened slowly and consumed her and the entire household.


So tell me more about you?
My name Felicia means happiness.  That’s probably why I hate negativity and especially hearing negativity in music.  For me music is an outlet used to put you in a good mood, allowing you to forget your troubles.  When I listen to music I could care less about the lyrical content, which is why I navigate towards instrumental jazz.


Now as an adult what other instruments do you play?
I am able to play drums, trombone, trumpet, tuba, baritone, and bass guitar in addition to the piano.  I am able to pick up nearly any instrument and play them by ear.  Her thoughts are once you’ve learned to play the piano, “the gateway to music as a whole” you can learn any other instrument that you want.  Without the piano the other instruments are not as prominent in music composition.  


Outside of music, what other interests do you have or projects are you working on? 
I am currently work on completing my Master’s degree in Business and Entrepreneurship.  I expect to achieve my degree in August of 2010.


Who inspires you?
Personally God does.  He gave me the musical talent and abilities that I have and is biggest inspirational joy.  I know I wouldn't be here today without him, and the ability to use discernment when utilizing the gifts I have been blessed with.  Because of all this I  give back religiously through her passion.

Professionally, Brian Culbertson inspires me.  He is a phenomenal musician.  His music takes me "There".


Come back to hear more about Felicia and to Read Part II of my sit down interview with her.  you'll learn a lot!


No comments: