1.14.2010

Let's Talk Music with Felicia Bond...Part II


Look out Columbus because Ready or Not, Here She Comes!  What is a talented woman such as Felicia doing now?  She’s promoting her band Cjazzic Soul (pronounced Classic Soul).  The birth of her band came from a phone call in 2005 when Felicia officially decide that she wanted her own sound and band.  The inspiration of that name came from a conversation over dinner with Phil Perry one evening.  Perry is a singer, songwriter and musician; most famously know for his rendition of Aretha Franklin’s 1970 hit “Call Me”.    He shared with Felicia during their meal that night that, “Music was nothing but Classical Soul”. This insight helped to name her future band project, and from there the band name was created.
Felicia shared with me that wanting to start a band is easy, but forming a good one takes time.   Before forming a band, she first began to research by visiting all major live music venues in the Columbus area to see what the music scene was like.  She documented everything from what people danced to, who showed up at these venues, and how long they stayed once they arrived. 

After her active research was completed, she began the branding processes of her band which included; website creation, registering of the band name, business cards, and other promotional material to get the name out.  I was absolutely amazed at her level of commitment.  Not many bands will take the time to outline a 30 page proposal documenting everything from what they planned to do, when they will do it, and where they want to be in 5 years.  Now this is someone who is serious about there musicianship!

A lot of time was also spent investing in finding the right people for the group as well.  Felicia believes that your band members will essentially become part of your family, so it is important to make sure those who join you are a good fit with you and your documented vision.


So what are you doing now with your band?
As of now Cjazzic Soul is starting over.  I am looking for new players and am putting different types of musicians together.  I want to find people who are passionate about performing music.

Are you working on any other projects in addition to Cjazzic Soul?
Yes, I am putting together an all female band, working with PWR Inc, a local band in the Columbus area, and in talks to become the house band for a popular venue in Columbus while also starting yet another jazz band.

As the founder of Girl Now What (GNW), I find value in taking time to sit down with women that are doing what I want to continue doing, and asking them questions with the hopes of gleaning from their wisdom.


Whether we choose to agree or not, we are all connected somehow, and the things you experience in life are not unique to you but your sister has been through it too.  Let her guide you, inspire you, and help you on your journey.  Connecting with Felicia was easy, I asked to chat, and she said OK.  Putting her Words of Wisdom (W.O.W.) to work is going to be slightly challenging, but hey….I’m up for the challenge!


It was important for me to find out from someone who’s been playing out for many years what W.O.W. they may have for someone such as myself who is looking to make a name for themselves within the Columbus Music Scene.  The best advice I’ve received so far has come from Felicia:

  • Know what you want and stick to it.
  • Bands are booked based on fan base, not how good you are...venues want to know, can you bring a crowd?
  • Do your homework and know your target market.
It’s also important for me to ask you how do you manage a family while performing out?
You need to know that as a female the expectation is different than that of a male.  As a woman, you will gravitate more towards doing both music and being a wife and parent.  For me family always came first, so much so that I got my children involved with what I was doing.  My sons went everywhere and managed the loading and unloading of equipment, and my daughters started their own musical group and performed everywhere I did.  Those experiences bonded us as a family, and helped to create great memories for years to come.


As a musician, what would you say makes you so successful?
My faith in God and my religious outlook on life.  I give God my troubles and trials and he gives me the discernment I need to navigate through my life.  I operate out of my passion, and don’t give less than my best.  I also make it a point to give back to others whenever possible.  Music is my joy and stress reliever.


You compose music regularly, tell me about that.  Do you have a formula that you use when it comes to composing music?
No, not really.  I usually start with a beat, and then begin adding other elements to it.  I operate from patches using my piano.  Patches are certain piano links you put together to create a song that becomes part of a link...if you're good you can plug it in anywhere else within your music. And it works.
I would much rather create my own music so I always choose to start from scratch.  I have plenty of material that has been started and remain unfinished projects.  I tend to hear a patch in my head, and then I record it quickly and come back to it later.


Tell me tell what is the difference between a Real Musician and a Wanna-Be Musician?
Real Musician
Humble, passionate about music, wants to teach and help others learn, not selfish with their talent, has a heart of stone, able to resist critics, will invest in themselves, always striving to get better, and knows their role at all times.
Wanna-Be Musician
Head stong and won’t take criticism, has a vision but no mapped out way to accomplish it, doesn’t listen to sound advice, can’t work as a team, always wants to stand out from the group, never moving forward.

In your experience how hard would you say it is to be a self-promoted musician?
It’s hard when you’re attempting to juggle a lot of things on your own.  As an artist you need a great support system of people to help you manage your workload.  You will want to be in a position where you are consistently moving forward.  I have a management partner that takes the time to focus on all of that for me:  Darrell Stewart of DRS Productions.


How would you advise up and coming musicians?

  • Don’t mock anyone else’s style
  • Know what you want and stick to it
  • Strive to create your own image that reflects the uniqueness in you.
  • Do your homework concerning the market you are looking to enter into.

As an artist you should know whom you are performing for and what different places call for and applying those different marketing strategies where applicable.


Where can we find out more about you and your upcoming projects?

No comments: